Présentation de l'entreprise
The School of Engineering and Architecture of Fribourg (HEIA-FR), a member institution of the University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Western Switzerland (HES-SO), offers bilingual study programs at the BSc and MSc levels. The HEIA-FR’s chemistry department with Prof. Dr. Ludovic Gremaud, the University of Fribourg through Prof. Dr. Christian Bochet, and an industrial partner invite applications for:
PhD position in mechanochemistry
Mission and scope of activities
The research project focuses on the development and application of mechanochemistry, a branch of chemistry that involves the use of mechanical force to drive chemical transformations. This methodology has become the cornerstone of a more efficient and environmentally-friendly means of chemical synthesis. A fully-funded PhD studentship is offered for a candidate to establish whether mechanochemical technologies (bead-mill, ball-mill, twin screw extrusion) can be applied to promote various chemical transformations. This aims at protecting the environment by bypassing the use of solvents and/or toxic reagents. This innovative methodology has the potential to offer game-changing solutions for the development of safe, efficient, eco-sustainable and cost-effective processes. The research includes the design and synthesis of active pharmaceutical ingredients, crop protection products, flavor-fragrance compounds and/or their key intermediates, as well as process and chemical engineering activities. The position involves participation in international conferences and in the writing of publications and patents.
Applicants must have:
- a MSc degree in chemistry or chemical engineering, with experience in organic synthesis
- a strong interest in pursuing interdisciplinary research involving small-molecule synthesis, process development activities, characterization, green metrics, and chemical engineering
- a profound interest in circular economy policies and experimental work
- a creative and problem-solving mindset, taking initiatives to conduct cutting-edge research
- English fluency (written and spoken)
The applicant must be an enthusiastic, enterprising team-player with resourceful ideas, always on the look-out for improvements and capable of approaching and solving problems in a creative way.
- Full-time employment as a doctoral student for a period of one year, renewable every year upon positive evaluation, up to a total of 4 years
Interested? Send in your complete application by clicking on the Apply («Postuler») button below.